Even though it’s taken a while I feel I have achieved something lately. I’ve got a veg patch, a herbaceous border (well loosely) , I’ve put in a shade bed – and the hens have taken it out again – and I’ve got things growing in the greenhouse. Not bad if I say so myself.
It all looks a bit rustic but then you know what it looked like to begin with so anything is an improvement – and believe me this is a big improvement. The carpet in the distance is sitting over my next targetted area for clearing. All the way underneath is it just thick with nettles and bindweed and wherever I am clearing anything away its rapidly being taken over by goosegrass.
The hens are a help and a hindrance. When I’m digging so are they – which truly is a help, but when I am not digging they are still digging. Which is a pain. Daisy is an avid digger and appears by my side whenever I get the garden fork out, but Elsie likes to operate on her own exactly where I don’t want her to. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve planted the irises.
This week it’s done nothing but rain and so everything seems to have come to a grinding halt. It’s so muddy and although I did earth up the ptoatoes I am not sure I should have in this lot. And of course workwise it’s not good either because that comes to a halt as well. Better weather is on the way they say…..
Back to hanging baskets tomorrow. I thought it was all over but no – 4 more to do so up early to get some plants, a spot of work and then back to plant up. It’s a bit late in the day but we’ll give it a go.
Meanwhile if anyone has any bright ideas for deterring hens from bits of the garden other than having 6ft fences everywhere I’d be grateful.